- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 shallot
- 100g cherry/plum tomatoes
- 2 handfuls basil leaves
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 25g butter
- 12 scallops
- 1 red chilli (if you like spice)
- 140g dried spaghetti
- Salt & pepper
COOK TIME : 20 MINS (SERVES 2)
The perfect meal for a special evening if you aren’t that much of a keen cook. This recipe is actually really simple to prepare but you can definitely brag about it. Sub the scallops for another type of shellfish if your prefer – prawns, crab, clams.
- Place the spaghetti in a pan of boiling water and cook until soft/per pack instructions.
- Finely dice the garlic & shallot and add to a large frying pan with the olive oil over a gentle heat. Allow to soften. Dice the tomatoes. Slice the chilli if using.
- Dry the scallop on either side with some kitchen paper. When the garlic & shallot is translucent, add the butter to the pan, increase the heat slightly and place the scallops in the pan one by one, starting at 12 o’clock and placing them around like a clock face.
- Sprinkle over salt & pepper on the surface of each scallop. Leave for 1-2 minutes, then turn over starting at 12 oclock again. The surface should be golden in colour. Leave for 2 minutes again. Then add the tomatoes, and chilli if using.
- Drain the spaghetti and add to the pan. Use tongs to combine everything together. Pick some basil leaves and stir through the spaghetti.
- Transfer on to a serving dish and finish with the remaining fresh basil leaves, a drizzle of olive oil and some fresh black pepper.