- 6 hot cross buns or slices or old/stale/hard bread
- 100g berries
- 100g white chocolate chips/chunks
- 2 eggs
- 30g sugar
- 400ml milk (any type)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Splash of vanilla (if you have it)
HOT CROSS BUN BREAD & BUTTER PUDDING
PREP TIME : 15 MINS - BAKE TIME : 35 MINS
Everyone’s favourite pud. On steroids. You can use any bread that may be going hard/stale. The berries add some extra texture/flavor to this British classic. You can use any berries/fruit and any type of chocolate or leave them out all together.
I’ve gone for raspberry & white chocolate but you can use whatever combo you like.
Pear & dark chocolate is another firm fave.
- Gently heat the milk until steaming.
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs with the sugar until pale. Pour in the milk slowly and whisk together. Add the cinnamon & vanilla. (the custard will be thinner than a typical custard!)
- Slice the hot cross buns in half. You can butter the bread/buns if you want to, I find it doesn’t make much difference.
- Place a layer of buns/bread on the bottom and pour over half the custard.
- Layer in the berries & white chocolate. Add another layer of bread/buns and pout over the rest of the custard. Sprinkle the top with some extra cinnamon & sugar if you like a crunchy top.
- Bake at 160C fan for 35 mins or until the top is golden and crisp.